The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17







Sunday, March 27, 2011

Project Patience

I got this cute art/nature project idea from a family mag, so I cannot take the creative credit... However, it turned out really fun for the boys (and us too!) The basic idea is planting seeds in little pots and teaching your children to care for them, water, etc and watch/wait for them to grow. All the while, talking and teaching about patience as we wait for something neat to happen.

Step One: Cover up and paint your pots! We used what we had on hand- tempera paint and cardboard seed pots. If I did it again I would use terra cotta pots- I think they would hold up better with repeated watering- ie: soaking from the kids.


Step Two: Fill with potting soil and plant seeds
Step Three: Admire your pots
Step Four: Water (try not to let your children drown the seeds!)
Step Five: Wait patiently for your seeds to sprout
I chose seeds with the shortest germination time as my guys are just beginning to learn about patience. I mean how long can a two year old wait? Ha! Of course, Daddy had several types of seeds to grow, so we moved beyond basil and arugula- two pots to eight. Hopefully in seven to fourteen days we will have some sprouts growing.

I'll have to do a follow-up post and let you know who learns more about patience- Logan and Will or Mommy!

3 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

What a fun family project! You're one brave mommy to tackle this with two,two year olds.
They turned out so cute..a memory for years to come.

sadieb said...

So cute and fun!! Hope all is well with you guys!

sweetpeamorrow said...

look at u at t!!!!!!!!!! green thumb and artistic!!!!!!!!!!!! so fun and cute..we might have the paint some pots! =)