The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17







Sunday, December 21, 2008

Kicks, Jabs and Hiccups

I have been very thankful for my long torso during this pregnancy as it has helped to keep the boys from getting up under my ribs. But now, it seems that Logan in particular likes to stretch out and get a foot up under my lower ribcage- fun! Also they both like to jab or something towards my belly button and it sometimes feels like they may just come out that way. In the last week I started feeling them hiccup. It took me a minute to figure it out- but after feeling regular, rhythmic movements I decided it had to be just that. Since then, I feel it almost daily from both babies, but never at the same time. Luckily for me, their bouts of hiccups don't seem to last as long as mine do when I get them! I was curious- so I googled fetal hiccups. The theory is that the babies' amniotic fluid enters and exits their lungs causing the diaphragm to contract resulting in hiccups. It only occurs in mature fetuses as the central nervous system is now developed enough to allow this to happen. From a PT point of view, I see it as good exercise for their little diaphragms, getting them ready to breathe outside the womb. Just thought I'd share...

2 comments:

alieta young casey said...

You're a lot smarter than I am. When I was pregnant with Lola, I told Logan she had great rhythm because she would kick to the beat of whatever music I was listening to. Then I realized it wasn't rhythm, it was hiccups!

Anonymous said...

Brings back fun memories! Kaitlin had hiccups even AFTER she was born. Miss you!