The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17







Sunday, January 25, 2009

Here We Go (Went) Again!

Hey everyone- just wanted to let you know that we are back at home- again! I started having contractions on Friday that continued into Saturday morning. We were up by 7:30 timing them, and when they were about six minutes apart we called the doctor and he said come on in. When I got to the hospital yesterday I hadn't dilated very much despite the regularity of my contractions. The dr. wanted to keep me for a couple of hours and see if there was any change, but felt that it was very likely not "baby time." The nurse rechecked me 3 hours later and was all surprised saying that I was 100% effaced and she could feel baby A's head. At this point, I'm still having contractions, but not very strong ones. They decided to keep me and we were hopeful that things would speed along.

You should've seen us walking laps around the labor and delivery floor in my beautiful hospital gown! I do have pictures- I was quite the sight. We knew we were in for a long night when the intensity and frequency of contractions hadn't speeded up much by 10:00. so they gave me an ambien to get some sleep, and we tried to get as much rest as possible (yeah right). Unfortunately, the beds are not very comfortable and getting up with 3 fetal monitors and an IV hookup is not easy. Andrew slept a little better in the fold-out sleep chair. I think the worst thing about it all is that I couldn't eat and I was starving. Thankfully, the night nurse gave me popsicles and jello instead of just ice chips. When you're used to eating for three, even gourmet ice chips just don't cut it!

This morning the doctor came back in and said that I was just not ready to have the babies yet. It is also not medically appropriate to try to speed things along just yet given their gestational age. If I were in the 37th week they would help me progress. He said that this type of slow progress is not uncommon with twins and that this type of contractions could go on for days maybe even a week. So, we're back at home, totally wiped out, trying to recover from our little 24 hour hospital run. But hey, at least we know what to expect now. I am a little disappointed, but reminded that God's timing is perfect and each day in the womb is better for Logan and Will. The nurses kept saying how great they looked on the monitor and that they were "textbook." Mommy and daddy will enjoy sleeping at home tonight and whatever time we have left just the two of us. Thanks to our parents who made the trip over and camped out waiting- we love you and cannot wait for the REAL big day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a trooper! Hang in there! You're right, enjoy your 1:1 time with Andrew. You are still in my prayers.
Stacey

The Fokens Family said...

Great recount of the events momma! You'll look back and love reading these posts in the future. You MAY even laugh about it!
~Erica

Anonymous said...

I was so confused!!! I just turned on my useless cell phone and got your text (why so late, I don't know), at the same time Scott is reading the update from your blog. My poor little brain... Glad to hear that all four of you did well with your hospital stay. Love you and praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us all posted! A practice run is always great, too! I did dream about your little boys all night though and was so disappointed when I didn't have a text from you this morning. We'll keep you all in our prayers. You are so right about God's perfect timing! Hang in there! Love ya bunches!

alieta young casey said...

It's so close now! We spent a few nights being observed at the hospital~those were so much worse than the actual delivery days. Praying for you!

steal magnolias said...

keep up the great attitude and i pray ya'll get some good sleep in... woohoo!