This past week has been a whirlwind- but I hope to recapture the exciting events in one very long post. We are super excited to welcome our sweet boys into our family and cannot believe the joy we have experienced so far. They are truly our little miracles. Bear with me as this is going to be very long, but I want to remember all the details and if I don't write it now, I just may not get to it any time soon. So- here is how the last week unfolded:
Monday, January 26th- I wasn't feeling well after coming home from our false alarm Sunday. I decided to call in to the doctor to let him know. He wanted me to come in and see what was going on. Tests at the office showed that my blood pressure was a little high and I was beginning to show signs of toxemia (which is common in a multiple pregnancy). In addition, I was making more progress towards actual labor, so my doctor decided to admit me to the perinatal unit. I would stay there overnight and have my BP and protein checked for 24 hours. The good news is that I was able to stay in a more comfortable room and was able to eat. When my doctor came to see me that evening, he informed me that my platelets had dropped, another sign of toxemia. He told us that if they dropped again by morning, we would be having babies on Tuesday! We felt like the induction was inevitable and although worried about my health issues, we were excited that we would soon be meeting our sweet babies.
Tuesday, January 27th- My platelets dropped again and the doctor let us know around 9am that we would be having the babies that day! They were ready to take me down to labor and delivery to get the process started. Thankfully I was able to eat a good breakfast and have a shower before the events of the big day. By 12:00, I was getting my epidural and the pitocin was started shortly thereafter. I was very fortunate to not experience any pain with the contractions, as the medicine kicked in prior to any pain. I felt great and was less anxious after the epidural. With the advance notice of an induction, we were able to round up all the family and get everyone here in plenty of time.
4:00 pm- Time to get started, Logan ready for delivery
4:55- Headed to Operating Room- Logan almost here (all twins deliver in OR just in case)
5:21- Logan arrives!
5:27- Will arrives!
Overall the delivery process was very tiring, but painless, and the most amazing and wonderful experience. Both babies had their umbilical cords wrapped twice around their necks. Logan did fine with the delivery but Will's heart rate started dropping on the way out. The doctor had to get him out quickly using forceps. I did not realize it at the time, but it was scary for a minute. We were so thankful for my doctor's skill in delivering Will safely and quickly. Both babies had strong cries, but looked a little pale in color. They were taken to the transitional nursery to be cleaned up and observed. They quickly regained their color and their Apgar's were good. Will was sent to the NICU because he demonstrated grunting type breathing, indicating that he may have fluid on his lungs. They wanted to keep him there to rule out infection in the lungs and provide any assistance he may need with his respiration. He did not have to be on supplemental oxygen and the "working to breathe" resolved in less 24 hours.
Daddy, Mommy and Logan
After delivery, Andrew went with the babies to get the status on their progress and I headed to recovery. We spent the next couple of hours in the recovery room dealing with a dramatic drop in my blood pressure that caused me to pass out. Prior to going up to our regular room, we were able to go and see Will in the NICU and got the good news that Logan would be joining us in our room. We had a brief time to see our family before settling into our room to rest from the big day and spend time with Logan. It was really hard not having Will with us, so Andy went down to sit with him for a bit while my mom stayed with me. That night was a blur of nurses coming in and out, and dealing with recovery from delivery.
My mom with Logan- proud grandma
Baby Will in the NICU
Wednesday I was able to visit with Will in the NICU and hold him and feed him for the first time. He was doing so much better as his breathing issues seemed to be resolving. Logan spent lots of time with us in our room getting to know us. We were pretty exhausted from the whole process of splitting our time between two babies and with the recovery process. By the evening, Will was doing so well, he was able to come and spend some time with us in our room. That was wonderful, finally having both babies together and being together as a family of four.
Holding Will for the first time
Our little family
Thursday we were able to have Will with us most of the day with the NICU nurses checking in on us. We prepared for going home that evening and had visitors all day from the staff preparing us for discharge- it was not a restful day! That night we went to see and feed Will one more time and were ready to go home with Logan. The nurse came to us around 9:30 and told us that Logan's temperature had dropped after his bath. They wanted to keep him for two hours and recheck his temp prior to discharge, by the time all that would be done- it would be after midnight. We were very disappointed and exhausted and after much ado, decided to let Logan stay to be observed overnight. We fed him prior to leaving and didn't get home until 1:30am. It was a very emotional night, but we were able to sleep straight through in preparation for bringing both boys home on Friday.
Mommy loving on Will
Daddy and his little boys
Logan on left, Will on right
Friday both boys were ready to be discharged and brought home in the afternoon. It felt like waiting a year for that time to get here. I was so happy and relieved to have them here. The entire weekend was spent holding them and looking at them. We were so giddy that first night, we were actually excited to be up at 3am feeding and holding the boys. I spent most of Sunday lying around with them just staring at them and wondering how I could love someone so much that I had just met. It was a very sweet time adjusting to life at home with two newborns. We were definitely tired from the week, but felt so blessed to be home with our two healthy babies.
Posing for our hospital photo
Ready to Go!!
Thanks to our families who have made this past week much easier on us. You have been there to love on us and the babies and to meet many needs. For that we are truly grateful! Thanks to everyone for all the phone calls, texts and visits- we have appreciated hearing from you. We hope to be in touch, but for now, this blog will probably be our best avenue for communication and updates. I am finding that with the feeding schedule alone (every three hours) I have little free time. It is all worth it, especially when I look at their sweet little faces and snuggle them close. Check their album for (lots of) pictures of our boys- more updates to come!
7 comments:
This is such an amazing blog! I tell ya what...T you look great!!!!!!!!!!!! The boys are precious! I can't wait to see you guys and love on our new little loves! Andrew looks so proud as well! What a blessings (double)! We are praying for you during this transition time and love you- miss you but we'll see you soooo soon and bring you some dinner! Let me know if you need anything- we aren't far at all!
Terra, you have the greatest perspective and attitude! Praise the Lord! You're always upbeat! You find the positive in everything!
Everyone looks great! I honestly keep thinking about you and Andrew with twins! I don't know how my mom did it! :) This is such an amazing time...use all the help you can get so that YOU stay healthy and get good rest.
Are you going to breast feed?
Love to you all!!!
I'm just wiping away the tears! They are beautiful, and you will be so glad you recorded all of this! Congrats, little mom!
I'm with Alieta, tears streaming down my face! You are such a beautiful Mommy-can't wait to see you tomorrow!
Can't wait to see and hold the boys on Friday! So exciting!
Thanks for all the details honey! It makes me feel so much closer to you and the boys. Still looking at dates to come and meet everyone!
Terra, Andrew, Logan, and Will - We are so very thankful that everyone is healthy, happy, and home! There really is no place like home. Thank you so much for the updates on the blog. How you have time to even do that - I have not a clue. You all are such a precious family. We love you all...much!
Post a Comment